Important Links

Rec Therapy Today has moved. It is not hosted at a wordpress site.
click here: http://www.RecTherapyToday.wordpress.com
Need CEUs? Go here:
http://www.dannypettry.com/courses.html

Sunday, December 27, 2015

I love maps!

I work at a psychiatric residential treatment facility, providing services for children and adolescents.

We have a map of the United States (and parts of Canada and Mexico) in our children’s classroom.
I like to stare at the map. Sometimes I wonder if might have a touch of Asperger’s Syndrome,
(which is not in the DSM-5).  I’ve always had a fascination with state borders, interstate highways, and license plates.

Although, I work as a mental health practitioner, I’m really just one of the grown-up helpers at our facility. We all work to assist the children.

I find it extra fun when the kids are learning the states and capitals. There are several activities that can be used to teach these. I think it is good for intellectual development and self-esteem. Some of these games include: ask 20 questions to figure out which state it is, or read aloud fun facts about a state and have the kids guess it. There are other teambuilding activities too, like work as a team to create your own state. Draw the map. Name the capital and the symbols. It get the kids to work on cooperation, compromise, and other vital social skills.

I first learned the states and capitals in fourth grade with one of my favorite teachers, Mrs. Darlington, who I recently ran into at Appleebees. She’s a great teacher.

I still know my states and capitals today! I'd even spell most of the correctly. 

I’ve heard that once you memorize something that you can know it for life if you refresh your memory of it at least once a month.

It is amazing how fast one forgets knowledge they have memorized.

I’d like to invite you to take my, Rec. Therapy refresher course.” It is worth 0.5 CEUs.

You’ll find this course in the course library at my site, here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews