Important Links

Rec Therapy Today has moved. It is not hosted at a wordpress site.
click here: http://www.RecTherapyToday.wordpress.com
Need CEUs? Go here:
http://www.dannypettry.com/courses.html

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Bullies to Buddies


I wasn’t real popular in middle school and high school.  

I’m kind of a proud dork. 

I was shy and of course there were a few people who bullied me.  

I do recall one guy friend who was real popular at school and especially among the females.  

I noticed that although being shy, this one guy was always friendly to me. He’d always say, “hi, Danny” in the hallways or by the bus or anywhere.  

I ran into him at a Wal-mart a few years ago and he said, “hey Danny,” and smiled as always. I learned that he had graduated from the same college. 

This guy might not know it, but he has a secret ingredient for making friends and being likeable. All he did was be friendly and social towards others.  

I wish I could have been that way during my past. I was shy and didn’t say anything to anyone. I really opened up and started talking when I got my first job at a fast-food restaurant, Chick-fil-A, which required me to talk in public. I had to talk to people.  

A guy friend in college gave me similar advice for meeting girls at a party or a bar. Please note that I don’t drink (alcohol/ beer). His tip was: cling glasses with every person in the club and say hello in a friendly voice. Don’t stay around and pester anyone. Make your rounds around the bar/ or club and do that about 5 or 6 times. Not more than once per (like hour or anything) for any one person. Eventually, people will be like, “hey, what is up.” 

All it takes is just being sociable, friendly.  

Here is a youtube video about a boy who was bullied and changed all that by opening up and being friendly and helpful. He did this and more people started to talk to him and like him. He grew a larger social support network.

There are a few books that I suggest below on dealing with bullies and making more friends:



Books:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews