Important Links

Rec Therapy Today has moved. It is not hosted at a wordpress site.
click here: http://www.RecTherapyToday.wordpress.com
Need CEUs? Go here:
http://www.dannypettry.com/courses.html

Saturday, June 14, 2014

"The Fault in Our Stars" and Therapy


I read John Green’s novel, “The Fault in Our Stars.” I’ve had this book for over a year. I purchased the book after a book review by Morgyn Joubert (a youtube book reviewer).

I finally read this book prior to going to see the movie today.

The novel is about a teenager, Hazel, who has had cancer in her thyroid and some issues with her lungs related to the cancer. It is a coming of the age story. Her parents make her go to a support group for teens with cancer, where she meets Gus, a boy who has lost one of his legs in the battle of cancer.

I highly recommend the book and movie for several reasons:
a.)   Empathy building by Cinematherapy: this book/ movie can bring some strong emotions for the reader/ viewer as they get attached to the characters. Providing services for people who lack empathy/ concern for others (in example: offenders) may benefit from developing more empathy by watching this movie.  I am not sure if there are any scientific proof in movies building empathy. I am not sure if this movie would be appropriate for your unique case load either.

b.)   Understanding of what it is like to have cancer. Although, I do not have cancer and will never truly know what that is like (unless I develop it at some point in my life), this movie helps a person to understand more of what it is like for people with it. NOTE: I haven’t told many people, but one of my life goals has been to provide services for children/ teens with cancer. I might work at St. Jude’s in my distant-distant future. I provide services for children who are victims of abuse/ trauma now. I have worked in this setting since 2002 and don’t plan to leave anytime soon.

c.)  There are several types of Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) skills that are designed to help people change behaviors that are not effective. Two skills come to mind to me with regards to this movie, including: a). mindfulness skills: intentionally and fully living in the moment. Living in the past/ dwelling in the past is associated with regrets and depression. Living in the future is associated with uncertainties and anxiety. Even if a person is struggling with negative emotions in the present: they can decrease additional intensity of emotions by not living/ focusing on the past or future. The characters in the book/ movie have several moments where they are living in the moment (not for the moment without consequences), but in the moment. b.) another DBT skill is radical acceptance. It is about acknowledge that a lot in life is not fair. It is about radically accepting that life is not always fair. It makes it easier to cope with problems, after all, “life is not a wish-granting factory.”

d.) This is a novel, but it also discusses Maslow’s Self-actualization theory

 Here is a link for the book:



Here is a link for the video preview of the movie:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews