Committee on Accreditation of Recreational Therapy Education
Call for Board Member Nominations
Nomination to CAAHEP CARTE Board of Directors:
The Committee on Accreditation of Recreational Therapy Education is expanding its board membership and is soliciting applicants for the following positions:
1 - Educator Position (3 year term)
1 - Practitioner Position (3 year term)
Qualifications are delineated in the By-Laws below.
For consideration to serve on the CARTE Board of Directors, please submit by June 20, 2014 the following materials:
A statement of your interest in serving on the CARTE Board and summary of your qualifications as indicated in the By-Laws
Resume' or vita
List of three references
On April 19, 2010, the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) accepted ATRA as a sponsoring member and accepted CARTE as the accreditation mechanism (CAAHEP Council on Accreditation or CoA) for recreational therapy. CARTE Standards and Guidelines for the Accreditation of Recreational Therapy Education, CARTE Policies and Procedures, CARTE By-Laws and supporting material can be found at www.caahep.org/carte.
Currently, there are four accredited academic programs:
Western Carolina University
East Carolina University
Slippery Rock University
Four additional programs have made application for accreditation services and are engaged in their program’s self-study.
The CAAHEP CARTE By-Laws define the members of the CARTE Board of Directors and their qualifications:
Article III: CARTE Board of Directors
3.1 Board of Directors:
The Board of Directors of CARTE shall consist of three (3) educators from programs preparing students for recreational therapy practice, three (3) recreational therapists, one (1) student currently enrolled in an educational program preparing for recreational therapy practice, one (1) employer of recreational therapists and one (1) public member who is familiar with recreational therapy practice.
3.3 Qualifications and Criteria for Service on the CARTE Board of Directors:
The following criteria must be met to serve on the CARTE Board of Directors:
(1) Individuals must express a commitment to serve and fully participate in the Committee on Accreditation of Recreational Therapy Education;
(2) Professional Educators must be certified by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification and state credentialed as applicable, possess at least three (3) years of experience as full time faculty at an institution providing recreational therapy education and one (1) year of experience practicing recreational therapy;
(3) Recreational Therapists must be certified by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification and state credentialed as applicable, possess at least four (4) years of experience as a recreational therapist including three (3) years of experience in clinical education and have experience with the supervision of student interns.
(4) The Student Member must have completed at least one year of recreational therapy education.
(5) The Recreational Therapy Employer shall have been involved in the employment of recreational therapists for at least 4 years.
(6) The Public Member must be familiar with the recreational therapy profession.
For more information please view CARTE’s website www.caahep.org/carte and to submit your supporting materials electronically contact:
Dr. Thomas K. Skalko
East Carolina University